Born in Paisley, he attended Glasgow School of Art from 1918 to 1923. Whilst there he studied under Maurice Greiffenhagen and met his future wife Mary, a fellow student. A professional painter, he exhibited widely at the principal Scottish societies between the wars. In 1947 he joined the staff of the Glasgow School of Art, becoming head of drawing in 1955. He was elected to membership of the Royal Scottish Academy, the Royal Glasgow Institute and the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolours. His work is held in the public collections of Glasgow and Paisley.