David Martin entered Glasgow School of Art in 1940. His education was interrupted by service in the RAF. After the war he returned to GSA where he was tutored by David Donaldson. Regarded by many as one of Scotland’s finest twentieth-century still life and landscape painters, his work is held in many major collections including the Arts Council of Scotland, the City of Edinburgh Art Collection, Perth Museum and Art Gallery, the Fleming Collection, Linklaters, the Earl of Moray, Credit Lyonnais Bank, Warburg Asset Management and the Clydesdale Bank. A major retrospective of his work was held at Perth Museum and Art Gallery in 1999.