Born in Yorkshire of Scottish parents, he spent the most memorable years of his childhood in the west of Scotland. He took evening classes at Glasgow School of Art under James Wright RSW but he eschewed an art career for dentistry, qualifying in Glasgow in the 1940s. He then practised, first in the army and then in the school service before retiring at 40 to paint full time. In the late 1950's McIntyre moved to North Wales but continued to summer in Iona to paint. He was a member of the Pastel Society, the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour, the Royal Society of Marine Artists, and for many years until his death, The Royal Cambrian Academy. He exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy and the Royal Scottish Academy and his work can be found in the collections of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, The National Library of Wales, Newport Art Gallery and Kirkaldy Museum.
Please do contact the gallery if you are interested in viewing any of the below works.